Sunday, November 18, 2007

Easy Week

This is the 4th week of my training cycle for the Texas Half, and it is scheduled to be a recovery week. Three 'easy runs' of 5mi each. The problem is, I couldn't run that slow and that infrequently. It felt like I was going for a dilatory walk instead of a run, and yes I know it is supposed to allow my body to catch some rest. In fact I was looking forward to the easy pace this week, but once I got out on the road I just couldn't help but pick up the pace.

I wound up running 4 times instead of 3 and nowhere near the slow 11:58 pace set for me, more like 10:30. In a couple of my runs I tried to force myself to go slower at the end of the run. Maybe I'll regret this decision later on in training, but I felt like as long as I wasn't running all out I should be fine.

I bought my first true pair of running shorts, a set of gray Nike. They were freakin' $35! I honestly could not tell the difference between these shorts and the $14 Champion shorts I've been buying at Target other than the built-in underwear. But after last week's testicle scraping run, I figured they might be worth the money. I'll wear them on my next long run.

Total miles for the week: 23.2

This Sunday's languid 'long' run:

3 comments:

Greg On the Run said...

Even though you're not telling anybody you know about your running plans, you are telling the world! Tell your friends - I think you'll be surprised at how supportive they are.

Keep on going!

And Go Navy! Your loss to us sent us to the Poinsetta Bowl.

Found you on the Complete Running Network.

Derrick said...

What a game against Navy. Being a Navy brat, I wasn't that mad.

Greg On the Run said...

All I could think about was the poor plebes doing pushups.