Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ball Chafing

OK, so I have discovered a very, very unpleasant side effect of training for a marathon... chaffing. Specifically ball chaffing, which is... you guessed it, the chaffing of a man's nut sack.

Now this may not be a pleasant thing to discuss, but it's probably necessary to share this information for other beginners. It started about 6 miles into my 8+ mile run last Sunday. I started to feel a burning in the area between my scrotum and my rectum. And the sweat irritated the chafe (oh, GOD the burn!). All I wanted to do was stop, but then what? So I gritted my teeth and stuck it out to the end of the run. I drove home and showered, spread a huge glob of Vaseline on the area and by the next day it felt a lot better.

Chaffing is caused by either skin rubbing on skin or clothes rubbing on skin. In my case, it was skin on skin, which probably means I need to lose a lot of weight... speaking of which, I am now at 204, which is 6 lbs less than when I started in September.

Total miles last week: 18.05

Last Sunday's nut-chaffing long run:


No comments: